Posted .

Brushing your teeth twice a day only takes four minutes, but that four minutes can often seem like a lot, especially with how busy our schedule can become. Being asked to floss, in addition to brushing, may seem like too much.

However, flossing is a quick procedure that’s proven to help you have better oral health. Let’s look at a couple of reasons why Dr. Behzad Abadi so strongly recommends you floss on a daily basis.

Cleans where your brush can’t

Unlike brushing, you only need to floss once a day. However, when you floss, you’re cleaning parts of your teeth where your toothbrush just can’t reach. It’s estimated that a toothbrush only cleans around 65% of a tooth’s surface. Floss gets the other 35%, removing plaque and other debris that cause cavities, tooth decay, and gum disease.

Prevents cavities

As mentioned above, flossing prevents cavities in a multitude of ways. First, floss removes food and other debris stuck in between your teeth. If that is left there, those particles can cause cavities and tooth decay – two things you don’t want to deal with.

Floss also helps clear plaque away from your gum line. If left unchecked, plaque along your gumline can turn into tartar, which unless removed by our team here at My Downey Dental , can cause gingivitis.

There are many other reasons to not skip flossing, but these two are prominent. If you have questions regarding flossing or need to schedule an appointment, please call us today at 562-372-4294.