When visiting your child’s dentist for the first time, they may express worries, frustration or some anxiety. Behzad Abadi DMD wants your child’s dental appointments to be fun and relaxing so they can be further persuaded to visit in the future. Here are some tips to prepare your child for their dentist appointment:
– Do not tell them of a previous bad experience you have had or the pain they may experience.
– Communicate how visiting the dentist helps make their teeth strong and healthy.
– Play with example by having a fun, home dental checkup, using a mirror and popsicle sticks.
This will prepare them for a dentist being in their mouth and get them excited about a real dentist appointment!
– There are many books and TV shows representing a character who attends the dentist. Reading or watching these can help comfort them knowing their favorite character visits the dentist as well.
– Bring along a friend or sibling so they can feel brave and increase their confidence.
– A small toy or favorite blanket can also help but be sure it won’t get in the way of the dentist.
These nervous feelings of a dentist being close to their teeth, hearing strange sounds in their mouth, or being in a new place can be eased with these tips, and here at Behzad Abadi DMD we work with children to help them understand the dental process.
Establishing good dental habits early on will create a positive outlook on dental care. This includes brushing twice a day, flossing daily, and seeing their dentist twice every year. Call us at 562-372-4294 to schedule an appointment for your child today! Our clinic here in Downey, California, endeavors to create a fun, comfortable atmosphere for your child and giving them their best smile!